The following phrases might appear on the classroom English quiz:
Handling the Textbook
- Are there any questions about …. ?
- in the left-hand corner/ top part, middle, bottom of the page
- look at (A) on page (no.)
- look at the word, ‘….’ in line
- Let’s read from the first/second/third/ fourth line together.
- Open your books to page….
- Please look at the word list.
- Please read the text to yourself.
- Read (A) aloud (no.) times.
- Take a look at
- Take out your textbooks and open them to page~
- Write your ideas down in your notebooks/ in the box, on the reflection sheet.
- Write your name on ….
- Let’s do a role play!
- All those on this side, you are the group leader
- In your groups, I’d like you to …
- In your groups you’re going to practice that dialogue.
- Let’s hear this pair/ group.
- Please get into groups of (no.)/ Please make groups of …
- Please get into pairs./ Please make pairs.
- Please work with (Name)
- Students on the left/ right, you are….
- That’s enough!
- Turn around and face your neighbor.
- When you’ve finished, change roles.
- You don’t have anyone to work with, do you? Please work with (student).
Pronunciation and repetition (On the handout we did not review)
- How do you pronounce this/ this word?
- Listen to me/ Listen to (name).
- Everyone, repeat after the CD/ me/ person’s name.
- Say it again/ more slowly/louder please
- Say it in English please, not Japanese.
- Say/ repeat/ read the whole sentence, please.
- What is this word in Japanese?
- Where is the stress in the word?